Monday, March 22, 2010

Easy and Low-Fat Desserts (yes, it is possible)

Recently I had to make some changes to my eating habits.  That is extremely hard for a "foodie" like me but since my health pretty much depended on it, I've managed.  Now I am on an extremely low-fat eating plan and I am seriously missing all the "good" stuff.  I thought that I cooked fairly low-fat before but apparently not enough.  Sooooo in an effort to fill my life and tummy with tasty things, I have reinvented some of my absolute favorites.  The first posting will be DESSERTS - because it's always good to start with dessert first, right?


Black Forest Trifle (approx 1 gram of fat per serving)

       1 family size Betty Crocker Brownie mix
       1/3 c water
       1/3 c applesauce
       2 eggs

Mix together and bake in a sprayed 9 x 13 pan for the time directed on the package. Allow to cool and cut into small squares.

     1 can cherry pie filling
     1/4 t almond extract

Mix together and set aside

     Hersheys syrup

     1 small box instant chocolate milk made according to directions using SKIM milk - chill in fridge

     Lite or fat free whipped topping

Layer half of brownie squares, pudding, cherries, whipped topping and drizzle with chocolate syrup.  Repeat layers and chill for at least one hour before serving.  You seriously would NEVER suspect this is low-fat!


Lowfat "Mock" Cheesecake (the only fat is in the crust)

1 lower fat graham cracker crust
1 pkg fat free cream cheese, softened
3 T skim milk
2 t vanilla
1 c powdered sugar
1 16 oz tub fat free or lite whipped topping

Blend together cream cheese, milk, vanilla and sugar. Fold in whipped topping and put in crust.  Chill and serve with fresh fruit or pie filling (we love blueberry).

Yogurt Pie (the only fat is in the crust)

1 lower fat graham cracker crust
3 to 4 containers (6 oz size) no fat yogurt, any flavor
1 tub fat free whipped topping

Mix whipped topping and yogurt together.  Pour into crust and freeze for at least 3 hours before serving.


Cotton Candy Salad

1 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1 can cherry pie filling
2 cans mandarin oranges,. drained
2 c mini marshmallows
1 8 oz tub fat free whipped topping

Stir milk and pie filling together.  Stir in oranges and marshmallows and then fold in whipped topping.  Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

Okay so none of these recipes could be considered "healthy" but they are lots lower in fat than the originals and they have been lifesavers for me, especially the trifle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment